Thursday, June 12, 2014

Media Day 2014

The Crosscutters held their media day yesterday. I had th e opportunity to speak to new manager Shawn Williams, pitcher Mitch Gueller and VP of Marketing and Public Relations, Gabe Sinicropi. 

2014 will be Williams’ first season as a manager and I asked if he would take any special approach to this year. He said the team would “focus on fundamentals and the little things like bunting and scoring from third.” also stating that this is how games are won. There is only one draft pick in Williamsport this year, but there were more last season. When asked about the typical acclimation period Williams thought the biggest adjustment is “playing every day with a stronger focus.”

Mitch Gueller is one of a few returning players this season. I asked if there were any specific improvements since last season. He says he has “a new mental approach” and he is “excited to show it in games.” He also has switched his pitching arsenal around. “I was throwing a curveball but it wasn’t really working,” Gueller said. “I throw a slider now.”  

Before I dive into my interview, I would like to thank Gabe for allowing me to return as a blogger this season and helping me out as I go.

Opening Day is exiting for any baseball fan, and when asked about his excitement he said “Always, I’m always excited for it.” A brief statement, but very true for all followers of the game. The Cutters got a new playing surface at Bowman Field last year and will be using the same surface in 2014. Gabe was sure to compliment the grounds crew on keeping the field maintained. “It’s the same surface, but it looks brand new though,” Sinicropi said.


The Cutters open up the season tomorrow night at 7:05 against the State College Spikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment